He is writing his school readiness test today, it is a whole, long day for these tiny souls.
He thinks that this means, if he passes, that he can go to ‘big school’ next week. Going to be a long journey yet, my son. I know in my heart of hearts that he is ready – he is a super smart child.
At age six, he can:
- Count to 120 (without looking at the page)
- Count in 2’s to 120
- Count in 5’2 to 120
- Count in 10’s to 120
- Count in 100’s to 1000
- Count in 1000’s to 10000
- Count backwards from 35
- Read and write his name and surname
- Read and write his brothers names and surnames
- Read all his colours
- He can spell: Dylan, play, dog, cat and we are working on tortoise… he has high standards
- He writes out my shopping list (with me spelling things)
- He knows basic sums and bigger vs smaller numbers
I am constantly amazed with him. He comes up with things that make me question whether or not he really is six. Sometimes I forget this as he can have an adult conversation and hold it too. I thought I was imagining his intelligence at one point, but his report and parent/teacher meetings prove to me that he is ahead for his age, well at least in the intelligence department – maybe not emotionally.
I know you will pass with flying colours, it is not me that expects it, you place these expectations on yourself… and you always soar above them. Thanks for making me a super proud Mom, I love you forever and then some.